How to be the hands and feet of Jesus Christ in this world is what New Horizons is all about. Please check out our website at www.newhorizonsofswfl.org We provide educational opportuinities for at-risk children in Southwest Florida. We are able to provide humanitarian aid to our Caribbean neighbors with our 68-foot cargo schooner, "Star of the Sea." The schooner is also used as a teaching tool for the "Call to Adventure" program that mentors young men at sea.


Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Special Delivery





























When the panga crew returned in the morning they had a young local with them named velhelm who spoke great english. He has been called to be a pastor and now works at the orphanage until he can find a sponsor to help him with his studies. Velhelm became my translator for the rest of our time in lle a Vache. Velhelm told me that I needed to go to the orphanage to request the proper paperwork that I needed to satisfy Bahamian Customs so Brother Carl back on Great Inagua could receive his 300 dollar transhipment bond back. After loading another two tons of food aid I grabbed my foul weather gear and got aboard the panga for the 45 minute ride to the village of Madame Bernard where the orphanage is located. Before arriving I hadn't thought too much about the cholera outbreak that is ravaging Haiti, upon arrival it was apparent that a full blown epidemic was underway. After stepping into a pan of Clorox we entered into Sister Flora's compound and I was given a tour. I cried as we toured the handicap wing with the twisted bodies of physically handicapped children in every bed and corner. I met Sister Flora and prayed with her, giving thanks for her dedication and calling out for our Heavenly Father to bless her with her needs. I am so thankful that our mission was one of those blessings! Sister Flora speaks only French so Vilhelm translated her need of a headlamp so she could perform operations at night without relying on someone holding a flashlight, I gladly gave up my l.e.d. headlamp and a large supply of batteries, she was really happy. As the donkeys started arriving with the offloaded food from the panga I went to see the the orphanage school in a different part of the village.

No comments:

Post a Comment